Monday, July 20, 2009

Low Carb Chocolate Cupcakes



I was craving something sweet again today. Like I said before I don't have much of a sweet tooth so I figure I am only craving this because I am trying not to eat sugar. I went to one of my favorite food bloggers; Elana's Pantry. Sure enough she has a recipe for chocolate cupcakes using coconut flour and agave nectar. Perfect! Here is what I did as I made a few changes based on what I had in the house. I used some Truvia in place of some agave to help lower the carb count. These were AWESOME. I know what I will be having for birthday parties now!!!! Please check out the original recipe and Elana's site. She has some wonderful recipes that are lower carb, dairy and gluten free and organic. As always I do this blog to keep track of what I do in the kitchen so I can repeat recipes we like. I am not trying to take credit for someone else's recipes.

Chocolate Cupcakes

1/4 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 packets Truvia

Not so eloquently I dumped it all in a bowl and whisked until smooth. I lined and filled 6 muffin tins. Baked at 375 for 13 minutes. They look identical to any other wheat filled chocolate cupcake and tasted just as good. Elana has a recipe for a vegan chocolate frosting. I used that idea but used butter, agave and cocoa powder. It was better than frosting with icing sugar. I didn't measure anything precisely but I guesstimate that I used 5 TBSP softened butter, 1 T cocoa powder and 2 T agave nectar and whipped it all together. I put it in the freezer for a few minutes to help it harden a bit before frosting the cupcakes. Seriously, these are fantastic!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

Mmmmm.....now I'm craving cupcakes!!!!!!!!

Adrienne said...

Thanks so much for your blog! I am gluten sensitive and have been off the diet for awhile now - I'm so happy to have found your awesome recipes to help motivate me. I did a test run on these cupcakes and we'll definitely be serving them for my daughter's 3rd birthday topped with whipped cream and fondant flowers :)

Kim said...

Adrienne,
thanks for leaving a comment. I am so glad you liked them. We love them too. Last month I made some for us for my neices birthday party. My sister did an amazing job decorating them. She handed one of these and one of the regular gluten mix ones to a friend of hers for a taste test. He had never had any thing GF before and he didn't know which was which and to my great happiness he chose these ones as his favorite. Now that is a true taste test, don't you think? Happy Birthday to your daughter!