Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pumpkin Custard Squares


I have 3 kids who seem to be living on air. They won't eat. I am so frustrated that I have resorted to disguising healthy food as dessert. I made these squares today and 2 of the 3 kids liked them. They are gluten and dairy free with no refined sugar. I am going to pretend they are good for us.


Pumpkin Custard Squares


Crust:

1 1/2 bags of gluten free ginger snaps (process in food processor to end up with about 3 cups of crumbs)

1/2 cup coconut oil


Custard:

1 29 oz can pumpkin

1 tsp salt

3 tsp cinnamon

2 tsp ground ginger

1/2 tsp cloves

1/2 tsp cardamom

5 eggs

1 cup honey

1 14 oz can coconut milk


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cookie crumbs and coconut oil and lightly press into 9 x 13 inch baking dish. For the filling mix all ingredients well and pour into unbaked crust. Bake at 350 for 1 hr 10 minutes or until custard is set and toothpick comes out nearly clean. Let cool and refrigerate. And no, the topping on top of the square in the picture is not dairy free.

2 comments:

Dani said...

ooooo, I might have to try these. those look good!

Kim said...

Since I made then that day, I was able to get Rori to take one bite. The other 2 like it but Rori seems to be able to sense when there might be something healthy in there and she won't touch it. Stuff like candy, yup she loves it and would eat only that if given a chance.