Sunday, March 1, 2009

Picadillo


Here is the dish we always have with the Cuban Black Beans. Nothing compares to it. Total comfort food. Definitely a must try!!

Picadillo

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound ground beef
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup beef stock
1 tablespoon white sugar
1/2 cup chopped prunes
3/4 cup chopped pimento-stuffed green olives
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon capers, drained

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef. Cook and stir until no longer pink, about 10 minutes. Stir in the onions and bell pepper. Cook until soft, then add the garlic. Season with cumin, chili powder, oregano, paprika, and cinnamon. Cook and stir for about one minute to release the fragrance. Pour the tomatoes and beef stock into the pan, along with the sugar. Stir the prunes, olives, capers. Simmer on med low for 20 - 30 minutes. Add vinegar before serving. Serve along side white rice and black beans.

2 comments:

Karen Joy said...

Wow. This looks really good!! All your recipes do, actually. But, I've been off of eggs for about a week due to my 7mo daughter's terrible skin issues, and... it seems to be helping. Argh. I'm sure you know how dependent we are on eggs, when we're gluten-free and dairy-free, too!! Anyways. I make something similar with pork and black beans... I will definitely have to try this, though! The capers, prunes, and green olives are not things I would have thought of, but I bet it tastes fabulous.

Kim said...

Oh man! Eggs too?! I have been counting my lucky stars that we are okay with eggs. How on earth can you bake without eggs. Ya, I know, egg replacer, but is it any good? Hope that is temporary for you guys.
Let me know if you try this recipe. It is absolutely one of our favorites. Now I am going to need the recipe for your pork and black bean thing.