Sunday, August 10, 2008

This Weekends Entertainment

I have been cooking up a storm this weekend. I have made some regulars and some new ones. I want to get around to posting all the recipes but as always time is a little short. First I will start with my cornbread. Cornbread is something that I didn't have much as a kid but since moving down to the US I have acquired a taste for it. We like the sweeter version of it. I love it with butter and honey. Since butter is out (unfortunately it still contains some casein in it) I have to settle for gf df margarine which is barely a substitute. If anyone knows a better sub please let me know. Butter is what I miss most. Anyway if you like the savory kind of cornbread just omit the sugar.

Cornbread - gluten and dairy free

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup corn flour
1 t xanthan gum
1/4 cup flax seed meal
1 T baking powder (gluten free)
1 t salt
1/3 cup oil
1 cup non-dairy milk (we use original flavor hemp milk)
1 egg
1/2 cup sugar

Preheat oven to 400. Mix all ingredients and pour into a 8x8 sprayed pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until top is golden brown. Test doneness with a toothpick.

No comments: